⏳ Do you want to skip the read? The best VPN option for Asus router is ExpressVPN which can be used for free and simply cancelled within 30 days.
Introduction to Asus Router VPN Not Working Guide
In the vast realm of the digital world, where privacy is both a cherished treasure and a constant concern, VPNs have emerged as the guardians of my online presence. With the power to cloak my internet activities and secure my connections, VPNs grant us a sense of freedom and security like no other.
However, what happens when the mighty shield of a VPN falters, leaving us vulnerable and disconnected from the protection I seek? This dilemma is precisely what countless Asus router users have faced as they grapple with the frustrating Asus VPN server not working.
I'll explore a plethora of tried-and-tested methods, demystify technical jargon, and empower you to regain control over your VPN connection.
Why is My Asus Router Not Working With a VPN?
If you are facing issues like issues connecting NAS to VPN etc then, there could be several reasons for this issue:
Your router's firewall settings may be interfering with the VPN connection. Routers often have built-in firewalls that can block certain types of network traffic, including VPN protocols. In such cases, you need to adjust the firewall settings to allow VPN traffic to pass through.
Incorrect configuration settings on either the router or the VPN client can cause connectivity issues. Make sure you have correctly set up the VPN on both ends. This includes providing the correct VPN server address, authentication details, encryption settings, and any other required parameters.
Security Apps Block VPN:
Sometimes, security applications installed on your devices (such as antivirus software or firewall programs) can interfere with VPN connections. These apps may have their own network filtering or security features that conflict with the VPN protocols.
VPN Passthrough Hasn't Enabled:
VPN passthrough is a feature on routers that allows VPN traffic to pass through the router's NAT (Network Address Translation) without interference. If this feature is not enabled on your Asus router, it might block VPN connections.
Troubleshooting-Guide: Steps to Fix NAS to VPN on Asus not working
1. Check and Update Your Router Firmware to The Latest Version
To check and update the firmware on your Asus router to the latest version, you can follow these steps:
- Connect to your Asus router.
- Access the router's web interface.
- Log in to the router using your username and password.
- Once logged in, look for the “Administration” or “Advanced Settings” section in the router's interface. You should find an option related to firmware or software updates within this section.
- Check for firmware updates.
- If an update is available, click on the download or update button to initiate the firmware download. Make sure you have a stable internet connection during this process, as interruptions could cause issues.
- Once the firmware file is easily downloaded, the router will prompt you to confirm the update. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with the firmware update.
- Wait for the update to complete.
- Verify the firmware update.
2. Add an Exception in The System Firewall
Perform the following steps:
- Open the Start menu and search for “Windows Security” or “Windows Defender Firewall.” Click on the appropriate search result to open the Windows Security settings.
- Click “Firewall & network protection” in the Windows Security settings or a similar option.
- You will see the active network profile (Private, Publicork) for which you want to add an exception).
- Under the network profile, click “Allow Another App” or “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.”
- Click the “Change settings” button and provide administrator privileges if prompted.
- Scroll through the list of allowed apps and features and click the “Allow another app…” or “Allow another program…” button.
- In the file explorer window that appears, navigate to the program's executable file you want to add as an exception. Select the file and click “Open.”
- Make sure the checkbox next to the program gets checked, and click “Add.”
- The program should now be easily added as an exception in the Windows firewall. Click “OK” or “Apply” to save the changes.
3. Make Sure Your Anti Virus Is Not Blocking The VPN Traffic
If your Asus VPN not working, you can follow these general steps to make sure that your anti-virus is not blocking the VPN traffic:
- Launch your antivirus software.
- Open the antivirus program and look for the settings or preferences section. A gear or cog icon usually indicates this.
- Locate firewall or network settings through the advanced settings.
- Disable the firewall temporarily.
- Test the VPN connection.
- If you have confirmed that the antivirus firewall is causing the issue, you can add an exception or whitelist the VPN application within the antivirus settings. Look for an option to add trusted applications, exceptions, or exclusions. Add your VPN client's executable file or process to the whitelist.
- After adding the VPN application as an exception, you can re-enable the firewall in your antivirus software.
4. Use A Reliable VPN service
Are you experiencing problems regarding the Asus router and accessing via internet? If your Asus router VPN client not working, then maybe the problem is with your VPN. Always choose a reliable and secure VPN (Virtual Private Network) service that your router supports. ExpressVPN offers a dedicated router VPN client that seamlessly integrates with a wide range of router models, including Asus routers. ExpressVPN uses advanced encryption protocols to secure your internet traffic, keeping your online activities private and protecting your sensitive information from potential threats.
ExpressVPN provides step-by-step instructions and excellent customer support to guide you through setting up the VPN client on your router.
By choosing ExpressVPN's router VPN client, you can take control of your online security and privacy, protect all your devices simultaneously, and unlock a world of content and possibilities. Don't compromise your online security and privacy. Choose ExpressVPN today and experience the benefits of a reliable and secure router VPN client.
How to Allow VPN Passthrough on Your Asus Router?
Perform the following steps:
- Access your router's web interface by going to your router’s site on a web browser.
- Log in to the router.
- Once logged in, look for the “Advanced Settings” or “Advanced” section in the router's interface. Within this section, search for an option related to “VPN passthrough” or “VPN settings.”
- Click activate and Enable VPN passthrough.
- Save and click Apply Changes.
How To Setup ExpressVPN on Asus Router?
To set up ExpressVPN on your Asus router, you can follow these steps:
- Sign up for ExpressVPN.
- Configure your Asus router through the web browser.
- Access your router's web interface.
- Log in to the router.
- Download the ExpressVPN firmware after selecting your router model.
- Install the ExpressVPN router firmware. Go to update settings and click upload. This will install the ExpressVPN configuration file.
- Configure ExpressVPN on the router.
- Once the configuration is complete, save the settings and restart your router. After the router restarts, verify that the VPN connection is active by checking the ExpressVPN router interface connection status or visiting a VPN client website to confirm your IP address has changed.
Why is ExpressVPN The Best VPN To Use With Asus Routers?
Here’s my ExpressVPN Review snapshot: 0.00
Name: ExpressVPN - Best Overall VPN - My Choice!!!
Description: ExpressVPN is a secure and reliable VPN service that offers strong encryption, a strict no-logs policy, fast connections, and optimized servers for streaming. It has a user-friendly app available for all major devices and offers excellent customer support. While it may be more expensive than some other VPN services and has a limit of five simultaneous connections per account, it is a top choice for those seeking streaming, gaming, torrenting, online privacy and security.
Offer price: $6.67
Application Category: VPN
My Personal Experience Summary
After spending a considerable amount of time using ExpressVPN for my streaming needs, I've come to the conclusion that it's an indispensable tool for anyone who values a seamless and secure entertainment experience. Whether I'm catching the latest movies, binge-watching TV series, or tuning into live sports events, the service has consistently provided me with speedy and reliable connections. I've never experienced any buffering issues, even when streaming content in HD or 4K. This is crucial when I'm in the middle of a gripping film or an intense sports match—nothing ruins the moment like a laggy stream.
What adds another layer of excellence to ExpressVPN is its versatility in supporting various kinds of entertainment platforms. I've used it to access region-restricted music libraries, game servers, and even podcasts without a hitch. With its robust encryption algorithms, I also have the peace of mind that my data and privacy are secure, which is increasingly important in today's digital age. Overall, for the rich quality of life improvements it brings to my entertainment setup, ExpressVPN has proven to be worth every penny. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade their streaming and gaming experiences while adding a strong layer of online protection.
- 📆 Money Back Guarantee: 30 Days
- 📖 No logs policy: No logs
- 🖥️ Servers: 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- 💻 Number of devices per license: 5
- 🛡 Kill switch: Yes
- 🍿 Streaming services: Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime and more
- 📥 Supports torrenting: Yes
- 🛠 Support: 24/7 Live Chat Support
- 🗺 Based in country: Virgin Islands (British)
- 🔥 Coupons: ExpressVPN coupon 49% OFF plus 3 extra months for FREE!
Security & Privacy
- Strong encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Fast and reliable connections with optimized servers for streaming
- User-friendly software for all major devices
- Wide range of server locations in over 90 countries
- Excellent customer support available 24/7
- More expensive than some other VPN services
Final Words to my Asus Router VPN Not Working Guide
In conclusion, if you're experiencing the frustrating issue of “Asus router VPN not working,” fear not! By following the simple steps outlined in this guide, you can troubleshoot and resolve the problem with ease.
Whether it's tweaking your firewall settings, ensuring proper configuration, addressing security app conflicts, or enabling VPN passthrough, these solutions will help you unlock the full potential of your Asus router and enjoy a seamless VPN experience.
Say goodbye to VPN woes and hello to smooth and protected browsing. Get ready to reclaim the power of your Asus router and bid farewell to the headache of “Asus router VPN not working” once and for all!
Why is my Asus router VPN not working?
There could be several reasons for this issue, including firewall settings, misconfiguration, security apps blocking VPN, or VPN passthrough not enabled.
How can I check if my firewall is blocking VPN traffic?
Access your router's settings, navigate to the firewall section, and ensure that the ports and VPN protocols are open.
What should I do if my VPN gets misconfigured?
Double-check the configuration settings on both your router and VPN client, ensuring they match the settings provided by your VPN service.
I am sure you enjoyed my guide on the Asus router VPN not working. You can let me know in the comments section below for any further questions or confusion. Also, I was hoping you could spare some time to read other articles and guides on my website. I am sure that you will like them too.